Giving birth to a baby is one of the most important and memorable experiences you will have. The biggest resource you will come to depend on during your pregnancy and childbirth will be the doctor you choose. This is a really important decision that you should give serious thought to.
Here are 10 things you should consider when choosing a doctor to deliver your baby.
- Your gynecologist may be able to deliver your baby. A lot of gynecologists are also obstetricians – a physician who specializes in pregnancy and childbirth. If you have a good relationship and feel comfortable with your gynecologist, it may be a good idea to have the baby delivered by the same doctor. Your gynecologist has access to your medical history and knows you well. This can really help make your childbirth experience a positive one.
- You will need to visit your doctor frequently before and after giving birth. Prenatal care requires multiple appointments throughout your pregnancy. After you give birth, you will also have to visit your doctor to make sure you are healthy. With this in mind, make sure you find a doctor who is flexible so that you can make emergency appointments or reschedule appointments with ease.
- Location matters. Make sure your doctor is conveniently located. Since you will be visiting your doctor often, it’s important that you can travel to the office with ease. The last thing you want is a terrible drive to the doctor’s office multiple times a month.
- Pick a doctor based on your medical history and needs. Not all women have the same medical history and needs. Your doctor should understand your specific situation and be able to handle it accordingly. For example, if you a have a history of complications, you may need a cesarean delivery; or, if you have other women’s health issues, find a doctor who specializes in those things. This will help you handle complications if they arise.
- Work with your insurance company to find your doctor. If you are searching for a doctor to deliver your baby, it’s best to start by talking to your insurance company. Ask them to provide you with a list of all potential doctors in your area so you can do your research and find the right one for you. This will save you a lot of time because you won’t be wasting your time contacting doctors who don’t accept your insurance.
- Not all doctors have the same outlook. It’s important for you to find out what your doctor thinks about issues like IVs, natural births, fetal monitoring, etc., before choosing him or her. Pregnancy and delivering a baby requires a lot of decisions. Make sure to choose a doctor who agrees with you on your choices and makes you feel comfortable and in control every step of the way.
- Experience matters. Not all doctors have the same experience in delivering babies. Some may have far more experience dealing with a variety of complications and medical histories. By choosing a doctor with a lot of experience dealing with a variety of complications, you can ensure you are in good hands.
- Find out which hospitals the doctor works with. Doctors work with a variety of different hospitals to perform surgeries and procedures. If your doctor is experienced and reputable, it doesn’t necessarily mean that he or she works with a hospital that also offers quality care. Ask your doctor which hospitals he or she will deliver your baby at and research the quality of the facility. Since your delivery and baby will be handled by many people at the hospital, it’s important to choose a reputable and trustworthy hospital.
- Not all doctors will be accommodating to your needs. Many women want to have a birth coach (doula) assist during childbirth or have other preferences about how they want their childbirth experience to go. Not all doctors may be able to accommodate your desires. Ask about what options are available to you, which will ensure you and your doctor are on the same page.
- Compatibility is really important. Childbirth is a very personal and emotional experience. The doctor delivering your baby should be someone you trust and are comfortable with. You should feel comfortable sharing intimate medical information with your doctor and be able to have candid conversations with him or her. When choosing a doctor to deliver your baby, think about how comfortable you feel with him or her and whether you two are compatible.
The Unique Wellness Center offers a variety of services such as gynecology, obstetrics, aesthetics, and wellness services. If you are looking for a doctor to deliver your baby, the experts at Unique Wellness Center would love to help you find the perfect fit. Call (954) 368-9656 to make an appointment today.